5 Ways You're Killing Social Media Engagement

1. Don’t be a robot

Be personal. Show off the people behind the brand. Give people a “Behind the scenes look!” to give them that exclusive, authentic feel. Don’t use automated responses and always engage with your followers. According to research done by Sprout Social, 70% of people are more likely to use a brand’s product when the brand responds or reaches on social media.

2. Not providing real content

Although you have information you want to convey, your social media brand should not exclusively revolve around posting products or promotions. This type of feed will bore your audience and lead to decreased engagement. It is typically suggested to follow the 80/20 rule of social media: Roughly 80% of content should be to help, entertain, or motivate your audience, and only the remaining 20% should focus on promoting your brand.

3. Lack of professionalism

There is an important and fine line to walk between being personable and being professional. Consumers expect an aesthetic and voice that matches the mission of your brand. The quality and selection of images and videos is very important as media can convey a sense of professionalism when done right…or wrong. Captions and content should be carefully thought out and peer reviewed by other employees or friends first. We cannot stress how important it is that every social media post is representative of your brand, so do it with intention.

4. Ineffective advertising

Do not pay for promotions or social media advertising blindly. Using third party sources to boost your ratings, followers, or performance often leads to lost money and disappointed customers. However, do consider purchasing reliable and effective advertising to help boost top-performing posts. Tools like Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics can be used to help show which posts gain traction and resonate with your audience. Finally, be smart with your money. Do not spend money to boost poorly performing content. Use your resources to highlight your best side.

5. Not adapting to platform audience

Different social media platforms have different styles of communication that should be taken into consideration when curating your content. Although it cross-posting is convenient, it often reads as lazy and ingenuine to your audience. While you don’t want to deviate from your brand identity, you do want to adapt your message so that it matches each social media platform.